Here’s a true story
I went to this preschool called Kiddie Country Club, which was ironic because it was in the Hood (with a capital H). So while the snacks were sketchy and the playground was a free-for-all, there was one staff member in particular who made it her primary job to be KIND over everything else.
Her name is Shawn, and I loved that she also had a boy name like me!
I still smile when I think about her today…
- She gave me cookies when I ate my peas.
- She admired my artwork.
- She advocated for me when I retaliated against an older boy who punched me in the stomach on the playground (I told you it was a free-for-all!).
- She complimented my outfits.
- And if she saw I was restless at nap time, she would invite me to sit in the back of the room with her to read or watch Sesame Street.
She didn’t have to do any of that
I guarantee she was not paid enough to do her minimum job requirements, let alone go above and beyond spreading the sort of kindness that changes a person. But she did.
Now, when I think about Shawn, I see her kindness as a superpower!
Those seemingly simple acts changed my life
That’s a BIG deal! You see, this was my new preschool after attending the in-home daycare where I was sexually abused (more on that in my book, New Again).
I was a scared little kid. But my single mom needed to work to keep food on the table and I needed a safe place to learn and play.
I was loved at home, but intimidated by the world. Shawn’s kindness helped me heal wounds I didn’t even understand yet. Her kindness made me want to be a kind person too because I wanted others to feel those “warm fuzzies” despite whatever they were going through.
Kindness is free, but the result is priceless
None of the acts of kindness I mentioned above were grand in any way. They were simple! We don’t need to overthink our kindness!
It’s those simple little moments we reflect back on at the end of the day (or 30+ years later!) that fills us up… the big hug from a friend, the unexpected compliment, the acknowledgement of hard work, an encouraging message. All free. All priceless.
- Who is your heart calling you to bless with kindness today?
- Don’t wait for the perfect moment to be kind–intentionally create it.